Thursday, July 20, 2006

A Photograph

When I picked up a special edition of National Geographic of 100 best pictures, I expected to look at 100 photographs and end up in awe. It was not going to be so. Those 100 pictures made me go through so many different emotions, I dont think I have ever felt all of it within a span of an hour!

The one picture that is going to remain in my memories, is that of a woman from Somalia who looked very close to a skeleton. I cannot forget her bare arm which wasnt covered by her clothes. She wasnt looking into the camera, I wish she was. I wanted to look into her eyes and see what lies there. Desperation? Hunger? Sadness? Frustration? Hope?

Moments like these bring you back to reality. Reality that many of us opt to live out of. While I was talking about it to someone, he made me realize that some things in life, like this photograph does make us come back to reality, but then dont we always go back to our happy world? Its the people who are moved enough to take action that make a diffrence to this world.

There was sympathy, fury, sadness, helplessness and a lot more that I felt, but two days later, I know these feelings wont be as strong. The thought that I am going to continue living my life and die without making any difference to this f***ed up world makes me feel so worthless right now.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks like u r doing ur bit already..

7:22 PM  
Blogger Subodh Shivapuja said...

Prayer to god

Small girl : God, my daddy says that you are all powerful and you can do anything, and also that you love everybody, then why is there so much suffering, pain and poverty. I don't understand why you don't do something about all this.

God : I did, I CREATED YOU.

12:12 AM  
Blogger Arjun Karande said...

Righto!

We're all voyeuristic more than anything else. Say tsk tsk and move on.

11:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sometime words r more powerfull than action, and the same happens here.
u have initiated n express through words, so now not more but at least i m forced to think of it
By : Shashi Yadav

3:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home